Monday, July 25, 2011

Zatar

I am not sure how authentic this is, but it is my version of a wonderful middle eastern spice mixture! If you can't find the sumac, just omit. But if you can it is a great addition to your spice rack. It is a tart taste that is often used in middle eastern cooking, it has a very unique taste that I just love! I wanted to post this so when you see Zatar in my recipes you will be able to use what I do. This will last up to 6 months in a well sealed jar, in a cool dark place.



1/4 c Sumac powder
3 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsp dried marjoram
2 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt

Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over med/low heat, just until you can smell the scent of nutty/sesame. Keep an on this, the minute you turn away, it won't take long to burn! (yup learned that from experience haha). Allow to cool.
Place the sesame seeds in a mortar/pestle, grind the seeds to a medium consistency. (leave some whole, you don't want powder). Add in remaining herbs, and give a good crushing.
Store in a jar for up to 6 months in a dark cool spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment