Sunday, January 15, 2012

Veal Meatball Soup

Oh yes winter is here, little snow but boy did those frigid temps move in! So a perfect day for soup! Having been rushing around for the last few days, I enjoy the convenience of Gaia's Breath Veal Meatballs, checked out the pantry for canned goods. I turned to the freezer and grabbed some pre-chopped onions,chopped greens and my bag of cheese rinds from Dutch Girls hard cheese (yes I know you can eat the rind, and I do, but I also save some to get that taste in soups and sauces). Basically, I turned to everything local and preserved from the summer goodies!





3 qt Chicken Stock (preferably your own)
1 qt heirloom tomatoes (preferably your own)
1 pkg Gaia's Breath Veal Meatballs
1 c chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 c chopped greens (I freeze bags by 2 c, your choice)
3-4 rinds of Dutch Girl Cheese
s/p
olive oil
optional: pasta of choice (I used orzo)

In a large stock pot over med/high heat saute onion and garlic in about 3 Tbsp olive oil. (No need too defrost onion, stir often to prevent burning). Season with s/p.

Once the onions are softened and most liquid has evaporated add in cheese rinds. Stir well, reduce heat and allow the rinds to soften, stir often. Add stock and tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add in the greens and meatballs (no need to defrost either). Let soup simmer for 45-60 minutes, giving a stir often. Adjust seasoning.

Serve with optional pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment