Friday, January 13, 2012

Honey: more then a sweetener and How to make Honey teas

I wanted to share some info that I have gathered about using local honey. I have converted many of my recipes to using honey or maple in place of granulated sugar. But yes I still use granulated, but I would honestly say, I have reduced that by, oh... at least 60%, so on the right track. (I also use raw sugar in place of that  40%).



I was discussing with a friend how I started taking bee pollen a little over a year ago...I think I bought some at the first Shed family gathering. I choose the pollen...oh do I really say this....okay yes I confess, I didn't like the taste of honey....ugh sorry, but more on that later! But I had heard some buzz about the 96 different nutrients, 40 % of the pollen is protein and of that almost all it is usable by the body with breaking it down, or metabolism. Hmmm better then any synthetic thing out there...

Speaking of synthetic...scientist have been unable to come anywhere near making a synthetic mutation of this super food, GO BEES!! Nature...So in Honey (best is in raw form) and Pollen you will find: 22 amino acids, vitamins: c, b-complex, folic acid...this is impressive: ALL of the anti-oxidants discovered to date also contains trace amounts of iron, zinc, manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium and potassium...I feel better just reading about it! But read on...

Honey also strengthens your immune system, helps with allergies (taken daily builds up a natural resistance to allergens), helps reduce stress, increases energy (vitamin b- complex) and endurance, helps fight against asthma, my personal testament migraines (I have suffered years with 5-6 severe migraines every month, now I have only had 2 since I started taking the pollen and one was because I had for a period stop taking the pollen and the other was stress induced), it has been found to decrease the side effects from certain chemotherapy's, a blood "cleanser", has anti-cancer properties, reduces heart disease...told you it is impressive!

Did you know that it also has been studied and under laboratory conditions, it is effective in killing MRSA. Honey has anti-microbial properties, a natural anti-inflammatory, helps kill of virus, bacteria and fungus. It is also a natural anti-septic, slightly warmed honey on a wound has been shown to aid greatly in healing in over 600 cases. It is also great has a rehydrate, so when you have the "uh-ohs"  and start to dehydrate, take some honey. It aids in digestion, is an anti-anemic, aids in relieve cold/flu symptoms.

If you are thinking of adding bee pollen to your intake, like anything else start slow and increase over time. I started with a tsp a day (morning is best for me) and over a month increased to 2 tbsp/daily. I let the pollen disolve my tongue, a very unigue taste expereince, each pellet has it's own unique taste. But you can sallow with water or place in a caplet. (Of course dissovling is best).

Okay, yes I like honey now! I couldn't stand it when I was younger, but gave it a try again and was surpirsed how I did like the taste.Somewhere along the way our taste buds change and more then likely it was because it was a local honey I sampled, not some "I don't know where it came from store honey." So as I always say, just give a try...you never know...and it would be shameful to miss out on new culinary experience!

For the past several years now, I have been trying to ever decrease any OTC medicine and turn to homeopathic remedies. I found the following varieties of Honey teas to be some of my go-to's for when I am starting to feel down, start of cold/flu thing or a sore throat. I found them to be more helpful then OTC meds, but the key is to start immediately when you feel something coming on and drink 3-4 cups a day.

For just feeling rundown:

Infuse 2/3 tsp ground ginger or 2 tsp of grated fresh and in two cups of boiling water. Steep for 3-5 minutes.

 Add 2 tsp of honey to cup and pour in tea. Stir, sit back and sip til gone.

For cold/flu symptoms: Use the above infusion but add in one or more of the following:

1/4 tsp of: onion powder, garlic powder, chopped rosemary (dry), thyme, dried citrus peel or cayenne (with the cayenne start with 1/8 tsp then adjust to your own tolerance).

Again add 2 tsp of honey per cup. Stir, sit back and relax and sip til gone.

For sore throat: Again use the basic infusion of feeling down tea, but add in one or more of the following:

1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon, anise, cayenne, dry lemon peel or dried thyme.

Use 2 tsp of honey per cup. Stir, sit, relax and sip until gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment