Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Local Local Local....

It seems that you can't watch the news, see a link on face book or pick the local paper....with out it being all about "local" being hot!

I wanted to take some time to let you know what some of my plans are for the up coming year. I am in the process of working out some dates and times for cooking class with SFMV (Slow Food Mohawk Valley), I did two classes last year and really enjoyed sharing my knowledge of cooking/baking, so I hope you give thought to attending one or two. It is a great way for me to help out SFMV, the proceeds from the classes will help SFMV achieve their goals which help with local community gardens, bring great information to the forefront such as TedX, bring knowledge and education into the school system and contrbuting to 1000 Gardens in Africa. After enjoying some time at the Souper Bowl, this past weekend, my desire to help this wonderful group of some very special people, has only grown. If you are not familiar with SFMV, check them out http://www.slowfoodmohawkvalley.com/. This is the spot to check for all up and coming events. This always a great way to keeping it local.



I hope to over the next several months to visit and speak with most of the vendors at the Shed, and some other local farmers that offer CSA's or ones you will find at the wonderful farmers markets we have in the Mohawk Valley. I hope to help with the feeling of really knowing the farmers and for you to know what goes into all the wonderful products we all have come to love. I love making the rounds to all the differnet markets, including the Westmoreland Winter Farmers Market (visit them on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Westmoreland-Winter-Farmers-Market/134427909938654?ref=ts). They are open the first Sat of the month from 9-12 at the Westmoreland Firehouse, with these dates remaining: Feb 4th, March 3rd and April 7th. Denise and Bernie do a great job with this market, and I love to go and chat up with some of the farmers, please go give them a visit, you will be pleasently surprised at all the goodies still available in the winter here. I like it because it seems to be a more relaxed atmosphere then the summer markets (I love the hustle/bustle too), but now is the chance your can real connect. Please go visit them if you can, rumor has it they will have pea sprouts, swiss chard and lettuce this weekend! Some great vendors:

Sammy & Annie Foods, Upcycling - recyled gifts from found objects
 WintersGrass Farm, Szarek Farms/Greenhouses, Week End Creations - excellent local honey/photography.woodworking crafts, jCookies, Red Fox Farms Jams & Jellies,
Kremhild Dairy ,Loveland Farms ,Jones Family Farm ,Papa Ink- sy candles ,Stoltzfus Dairy/Jake's Gouda , Jakes's Bakes- dog treats
Janey Wurz - Hydrotufa planters & flowers Yorkville Organics
,Fruit of the Fungi ,Longview Acres- storage vegetables/honey/maple syrup,
Drover Hill Farm ,Shaw Maple Products

Oh and also keep an eye out for the Westmoreland Food Swaps, I went to my first one and can't wait for the next one! And if you think you can't make nothing to bring, guess again, Denise has many ideas listed on the FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Westmoreland-Food-Swap-NY/118329564911408, check out cooking class to learn to make something you could bring! It is fantastic way to meet great people, that love local and good food!


Finally, but not least, I hope to assist Shulamis with a Shed cookbook, this is no small piece of work as we found out last year, although with the internet you would think it would be quick and easy. But no it is still a lot of work to put one together and we want to bring the very best to your table, so I have started working on recipes for that. Look for it around Fall.

All of these people I talk about here, have over the last year or more have become very important part of my life and I consider them family. Anyone that really knows me, will tell you I am not easily impressed, so when I am, it tells you something. I want to take this time to say Thank you to Shulamis, Deb Richardson, Suzie (JFF) for your friendship, support and for giving purpose in my life beyond any monetary value, you have all done more for me then I could ever repay!

No comments:

Post a Comment