Wednesday, January 25, 2012

BBQ Turkey Drumstick with Celery Root slaw

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending the Westmoreland Food Swap! I was like a kid in a candy shop, so to speak....so many wonderful items to choice and swap for! If you haven't attended one I strongly suggest you do.  This, for me, brings the "foodie" part of my life full circle! If you make, bake, forge or grow it you will fit right in! I am already looking forward to the next one! I walked away with lots and lots of goodies, two of which I use here. There is nothing like homemade BBQ Sauce and although I do make my own I love to try others and I scored well this weekend!! (and shame on me, I can not remember who I swapped with). My other score is the Celery Root, which came from Laura and Michael at the Farm, which turned out to be my favorite new-for-me veggie this year, so I was more then happy to swap for that! So pairing these beauties with Sweetgrass turkey just had to be!



1 pkg Sweetgreass Turkey Drumsticks
1 lg onion, diced (The Farm or if you froze some that is good here too)
1 garlic clove (the Farm or Russia Corners)
olive oil
1/2 c BBQ sauce (use one that is more "earthy" rather then on the sweet side)
1/4 c turkey stock
s/p

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

In a cast iron pot heat 2 tbs of oil. Season turkey with s/p. Cook in heated oil, browning on all sides. Remove to a plate; set aside. Add onion and garlic to pan, saute for 5 minutes or so. Stir in BBQ sauce and stock. Bring to a boil, then return turkey to pan.

Place lid on pan and place in oven. Let meat cook for 2-2 1/2 hours, checking about halfway through, turn the meat and check for tenderness. The meat should pull back from the bone, and shred with fork very easily.

When meat is done, remove from pan and cool slightly. Place the pan on a burner over med/high heat. Reduce the liquid until nicely thickened. When meat is cool enough to handle, shred off of bone. Add to reduced liquid, toss to coat well.

Serve on a roll or as I did in a crepe along side some Celery slaw, recipe follows. (maybe some steaks fries)

Celery Root Slaw

3 small/med The Farm Celery root, shredded
1 or 2 carrots (small) shredded
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Fennel seed
1/2 - 2/3 c Maple Hill Creamery yogurt **
1/8 - 1/3 c mayo (preferable homemade)
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
s/p
1/2 c raisins
optional: toasted pine nuts

** if I had it, I would have used the orange flavored yogurt here.


Toast the fennel seeds in a small skillet until fragrant. Allow to cool, then grind in a spice grinder.

Cover the raisins with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain; set aside.

In a large bowl toss the celery root and carrot to combine well. Drizzle the lemon juice over; set aside.

In a small bowl whisk the yogurt, mayo, s/p,ground fennel, mustard and oil. Pour this over the celery, add in raisins and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving. (go easy on salt it does intensify as it stands, you can always add more later).

No comments:

Post a Comment