Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Sloppy" Pork sandwich (with a maple BBq sauce) ($1.50/pp)

My husband had a  craving for pulled pork and I had one for a "sloppy joe". I compromised with this creation, and I have to say it was better then any can mixture! The BBQ sauce makes plenty and will last a bit in your frig. (I believe I have shared the BBQ sauce before, back when I sent weekly mailings) I made cornmeal rolls, coleslaw and served my famous refrigerator pickles! Give this one a try I think you will agree it is better then the stuff we all grew up on!

BBQ Sauce

1 qt crushed tomatoes (your own is best)
1/2 c Mill Hollow Maple syrup (grade A)
1/2 c brown sugar
1 chipotle (from a can), diced (more if you like it spicier)
1 c white vinegar
1 pt applesauce (again your own is best)
juice of one lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced (great choices either Russia Corners or The Farm B/B)
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Place all in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45-60 minutes, or until reduced and thicker. Place in qt jars, when cool, keep refrigerated.



SLOPPY PORK SANDWICH

1 lb of Wintergrass ground pork
1 ear of corn, grilled and kernels removed from cob
1 roasted Bell Pepper, Old Path or the Farm B/B, diced
1 The Farm B/B jalapeno. seeded and diced (more if you want)
1 the Farm B/B leek, cleaned chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 c BBQ sauce (see above)

In a large skillet, heat oil and add in leeks. Saute until soft and slightly colored. Remove to a dish; set aside.
Crumble ground pork into skillet, brown off, about 5-7 minutes, over med heat. Sprinkle cumin over pork, stir  combine. Add in corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, leeks and BBQ sauce. Stir to combine. Heat through, about 8 minutes.

Serve on roll of choice, some slaw and pickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment