Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cream of Cheese Tomato Soup

It never fails when I can tomatoes (well really anything) I always have that extra amount. You know, 7 qt to canner, and I have 9 1/2 qt. I don't mind at all, because I can use any extra throughout the week. I did 14 qt of tomatoes yesterday, and with the left over tomatoes I made this soup for lunch. (I had 2 qt jars filled with skinned tomatoes). I did toss between using cream cheese or goat cheese as the "creamer" of the soup, but went with the cream cheese. This simply, quick and delish! I served a black bean raisin bread on the side.



2 qt of whole tomatoes
4 oz JFF Cream Cheese, room temperature
s/p


Place tomatoes in a large pot and cook them over med heat until soft and they have released a bit of their juice.

Using a food mill, mill the tomatoes into a large bowl. Remember to scrap the bottom to get all the good pulp. (if you don't have a food mill, puree, being careful of the heat, then strain through a fine sieve). Return liquid to a large pot, simmer for about 30 minutes over med/low heat.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in cream cheese, heat for another 5-7 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment