Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chili Sauce

Now this recipe is not mine, but wanted to share it. My Dad use to make this when I was younger, we use to put it on hamburgs, fried potatoes, with fried eggs and probably anything else we could think of! My Dad has been gone for almost 12 years now, but I have the newspaper page that this recipe came on, framed in my kitchen. September 11, 1949 is the date and I finally got to make it this year. I imagine if you wanted it spicy, you could add in pepper flakes or hot peppers of choice. Note the cooking time, so plan accordingly, it is worth it!

4 tbsp whole cloves
3 tbsp allspice (whole berries)
4 qt chopped, skinned tomatoes (about 8 lbs)
2 1/2 c chopped onion (I did more of a dice)
2 1/2 c green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 qt cider vinegar
2 tbsp kosher salt (it says salt, I used kosher)

Tie the spices in cheese cloth. Place all ingredients in a large stock pot. I leave the string long enough on  the cheese cloth, so I can tie it  to the handle of the pan, so I don't lose it. Bring to a boil, stir often, to prevent scorching. Reduce and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours, or until nicely thick, give a good stir every now and then.

Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4" head space, wipe rim of glass, top with lid and band. Water bath for 30 minutes.
(will get about 4-5 pint jars, but I did mine in half pint and got 12.) This makes a great gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment