Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Real McCoy

Every once in awhile I decide to create a recipe that reminds me of a friend and that is what I have done here. My friend just celebrated a birthday (an age we both now share), I had been ribbing her pretty good about it! All in good fun of course! I have been playing around with creating some more vegetarian meals and my friend is, as I call her, a veg head. It so happens that this recipe is also, inexpensive to make, which is always good for the budget. I always start with dried beans, for several reasons but for the main reason, I can flavor the cooking process anyway I want. Also, when I cook up beans, I double the batch and after draining and cooling, I place have in a freezer bag. You can freeze for up to 6 months, this makes it handy during a busy week.

Happy Birthday my friend!
                                                    copyright2012 catmacera

2 1/4 cooked red kidney beans
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp white ground pepper (or 1/4 black ground pepper)
4 tbsp of plain yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp hot honey**
1 tsp ground cumin
4 oz of Jones Family Farm Simple Goat Cheese
1/2-3/4 c cornmeal +
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil

** see blog from 5/21/12 Herb infused Honey and Oils or add 1/4-1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper and use 4 tbsp regular honey


In a food processor (you can just as easily use a pastry blender or potato masher as well, which I do when I don't feel like dragging out my machine!) place the kidney beans, salt, pepper, cumin, yogurt and honey. Pulse (or mash) until just smooth (I like small chunks of bean). Add in cornmeal, a little at a time, just until the mixture will hold together when squeezed in your hand.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 6-8 balls of mixture, place on a baking sheet that has been lined with wax or parchment paper.

Keep a bowl of water nearby. Wet hands lightly with water (this helps prevent to much mixture sticking to your hands). Cradle the mixture in your hand and make a well in the center, pressing the mixture out so that the well will hold about a tablespoon of goat cheese. Place goat cheese in the well, then pinch the open seam together, enclosing the cheese. flatten slightly into a patty shape. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until the bean mixture is used.

Refrigerate for at 30 minutes, or cover with plastic wrap for up to 2 days.

In a large skillet heat butter and oil. Sprinkle about 1/4 of cornmeal on a plate. Coat both sides of each patty in the cornmeal. Carefully place in skillet and fry over medium heat, until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook till golden on second side.

I served mine over salad mix that I simply dressed with garlic infused yogurt: 1/2 c yogurt, 2 garlic cloves minced, s/p to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment