Friday, June 14, 2013

Stuffed Lamb burger with Baked Black Bean

 Savoring Mohawk Valley...we truly are blessed to live in this area...yes even despite the recent rain-fest. We have access, at least in my opinion (and I know a lot agree) to some of the best beef, pork, lamb, turkey, chicken, duck ....oh the list is extensive!

Someone asked me the other day, how I "rate" what I eat. The first time I purchase a meat product I only season it with salt and black pepper, fresh ground of course. Cook it in the most basic of ways. My dad taught me this trick, good quality meat (chicken, lamb, pork etc.) should never need anything more then that to be flavorful. If the product is flavorful that way, then I know when I add other spices or seasonings, the two will "marry" and become one. When you sample a flavorful dish, you should really be able to taste everything on its own and at the same time, all together.

I immediately think of two local restaurants that accomplish this all the time. And a large part of that is that they use as much local as they can! The Table in Fort Plain and The Tailor and The Cook in Utica.

How lucky are we that we have access to the same products they use from the area! I haven't sampled everything in the Valley or CNY, but I am working on it. There are so many great things for me to discover and I am working on that! If you know of a farmer in the Mohawk Valley or CNY, that you like me to try something and then create a recipe, please email me!

So, this recipe features a few farms:

http://www.droverhillfarm.com/                  http://www.anotherjonesfamilyfarm.com/

http://bouchardbeef.weebly.com/               http://gianfortefarm.com/

http://shawsmapleproducts.com/

copyrightcatmacera2013
 
 
1 lb Drover Hill Ground Lamb
6 tbsp. Jones Family Kuyahoora Crème
4 tsp. Shaw's Maple Seasoning (Maple pepper)
s/p
1 egg
1/4 c panko bread crumbs
 
Baked Black Beans
 
2 c Gianforte Black Turtle Beans, cooked and cooled
6 slices Bouchard Farm bacon, fried crisp
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 c Shaw's maple syrup
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp.  ground curry
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne (adjust to taste)
1/2 c. chicken stock
s/p
 
For the burger:
 
Stir together the kuyahoora crème and maple seasoning. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Form into 4 equal in size balls; set aside.
 
 
Season the lamb well with salt and pepper, add in egg and bread crumbs. Mix together just until combined. Dived into 4 equal portions, roll into balls. Insert two fingers into the meatball and form a well in the middle of the ball, that will hold the cheese. Place the cheese in the middle, close the opening by squeezing and shaping back into a ball. Flatten slightly, place on a platter and refrigerate until ready to cook.
 
For the Baked Beans: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
Reserve about 2 tbsp. of the bacon fat and sauté the onion until translucent.
 
In a large bowl stir together all the bean ingredients. Crumble in the bacon. Pour into a 2 qt. oven proof dish. Bake for 1 hour or until slightly crisped on top.
 
About 15 minutes before the beans are done preheat grill on high. While the beans rest for about 15 minutes, grill the burgers over med/low heat for about 5 -6 minutes per side.(or until desired doneness) Turning only once.
 
Let the burger rest about 5 minutes. Plate and serve. (optional, sprinkle with diced preserved lemon)
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment