Thursday, May 23, 2013

Fresh Greens, Chickpeas and Pasta

I am by no means a "meatless Monday" type of person, with that said, I am a lover of all the fresh produce available through the season! I call it my "Veg- more-meal", I don't pick any particular day! You notice I said meal not day, that is because I will use left meat as a protein source with at least one meal. I try to do a  "Veg-more-meal" every day, could be breakfast, lunch or dinner! A few things happen, I stretch the dollar, so now I can buy more of that wonderful local grown meat/poultry/pork, (personally, I think we have the BEST meat farmers!) which by the way, has such wonderful flavor you really know what these meats should taste like!

When you purchase veggies at the market, they can become part of a "go-to-quick" meal later in the week. So buy two or more of the same item, cook one time, reserve equal portions for later uses in the week, stored in the refrigerator. Beans (red, black, chick pea etc.), pasta, lentils also, cook these up once a week to have on hand for later. Every Sunday I am simmering away a pot of dried beans of some sort, yes dried they really take little effort, I don't have any of that slimy stuff (what is that?) and I can flavor my beans if want, with rosemary, thyme, garlic, well you get the idea.

copyrightcatmacera2013
 
 
2 c of your favorite pasta, cooked al dente
1 c cooked chickpeas
1lb fresh mix greens rinse and chopped roughly
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of hot pepper flakes
s/p
olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
 

In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter over med/high heat. Add in the chickpeas, toss to coat and fry until just golden and crisp. Remove to a platter, set aside.

Add 1 tbsp. oil to the pan and the garlic, lower heat to med/low, taking care not to burn the garlic, sauté -12 minutes. Add the chopped greens and pepper flakes, toss to coat, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little more oil. Cook until just soft and have taken on a beautiful green color.

Add the pasta and chickpeas to the pan, stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, add in cubed cheese and cook for another 5 minutes or so over medium heat. You are not looking to melt the cheese, rather warm it through. Give one final drizzle of olive oil.

Got leftovers? Make a frittata!

1 comment: